Friday, April 5, 2019

KWL Chart

My appraisal goal two(Personal Goal) is to increase the number of 14+ credits in year 12 and year 13(Mathematics).

#1.  Raise Māori student achievement through the development of cultural visibility and responsive practices across the pathway as measured against National Standards and agreed targets for reading  NCEA years 11-13. As a CoL leader within school I  am more interested in inquiring about student learning and my own practice.

Currently our year 12 classes are working on Trigonometry. Mr Mark Milford did a PD on the above strategy at the staff meeting recently  and I caught up with him last week to learn more about applying this strategy in Trigonometry. This was particularly useful, as this topic has a lot of formulae to work with. I shared this with my colleagues during the department meeting, and they found it useful too.




Here is the sample lesson:
TOPIC: Trigonometry
What I Know              What I want to Learn          What I have Learned
                   

K-W-L is a group activity developed by Donna Ogle (1986) that helps students think actively while reading.

K - Stands for helping students recall what they KNOW about the subject.
W - Stands for helping students determine what they WANT to learn.
L - Stands for helping students identify what they LEARN as they read.



   
 Know- Right angled triangle SOH, CAH , TOA
            Non right angled triangle- Cosine rule- SSS, SAS
            Non right angled triangle- AAS
Want- Diagonal length
Learn- SAS therefore Cosine rule
Answer- Answer the questions and write in words.

Here is a sample lesson  shared with my colleagues using workspace.

                                   



1 comment:

Open day activitics