Sunday, March 24, 2019

Yr13-WFRC#(2) How and why?


WFRC#(2) Describe how and why you have selected this challenge of student learning. Locate your inquiry in the context of patterns of student learning in Manaiakalani overall. 

Last year my inquiry was about raising achievement of year 12 students as well as targeted Maori students. We did this by taking a focus  on literacy strategies. Differentiated teaching also helped the students improve their Statistics results. I also focused on improving Statistical investigation reports by utilising PEEL structure and Solo taxonomy.

I trialed a variety of literacy strategies to answer the questions with the insight and clarity to develop extended abstract thinking. Blog is here. Students worked hard by attending extra tutorials and using online resources , however there was still room for improvement.

I will continue work on contextual based questions in every topic and I am going to get help from Marc Milford and Dr Jannie Van Hees to bridge the gap and expand extended abstract thinking to enhance achievement. This is with the aim that students can gain at least 14 credits to get university entrance and endorsement.

While I was working with students last year I identified a few outstanding students to whom I offered scholarship tutorials to this year. I began preparing these students last year with two extra Level three standards and one extra level two internal.

By the end of year I hope the whole class will confidently use mathematical language, written skills, listening skills, confidence (in facing questions), interpersonal skills, comprehension and listening skills in order to experience tertiary education or work with confidence and become lifelong learners.


My Challenge is:

Currently there are 3 students who are working at the expected level, 4-5 students who are at an average level and 5 students working below the level. 2 of these students have never taken calculus before. There are clear gaps here in terms of mathematics and literacy skills.
My challenge is to accelerate learning to get an entry level for university.

I am interested in learning more about myself to cater effectively for every learner in the classroom to move to the expected level.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Open day activitics