Saturday, August 10, 2019

Monitoring - Differentiation

Raise Māori student achievement through the development of cultural visibility and responsive practices across the pathway as measured against National Standards and agreed targets for reading Years 1-10 and NCEA years 11-13. As a CoL leader within the school. I  am more interested in inquiring about student learning and my own practice.
    
Monitoring
I am working three important hypotheses to monitor my learners’ progress as we are getting closer to the External examinations. In this blog, I am looking at two.
I have been giving them “Do now” s every lesson to figure out the classical mistakes in Algebra as well as rewind their learning to recall what they have learned so far and to dig deeper to find their weaknesses and strengths. Also, most of the time whiteboards have been used by learners as they enjoy working in small groups on a whiteboard. I strongly believe that learners can learn from their mistakes.


   “Do now”
Classical mistakes/Rewinding






 
 
 
                                                    

They forgot to square the 4.
 





They struggled with the second question.
 


Where is sec in the calculator Miss?
They struggled to put that in the calculator.
 


Few of them struggle to get the correct answer.
 

This was the last lesson  last week,
every single learner got it correct!!





I used whiteboards to address the above hypotheses.

Impact on students:
The students really enjoy having the opportunity to spend part of a lesson out of their seats
The students like having the opportunity to work in small groups with different people each time.
The boards allow the students a public opportunity for solving problems – so students can be affirmed for their expertise and also have the chance to learn from each other.
There is an increased opportunity for conversations around mathematical thinking both with each other and also with me.
Students can take photos of the best practice once they are up on the whiteboards.
Students can present their ideas to each other and to the class while developing their ability to effectively express their mathematical ideas.

Impact on me: 
I have instant feedback as to which students need further support to be able to get started on the current work.
“Do Now” strategy identify easily who understood the work of the previous lesson.
I obtained feedback as soon as a new concept has been introduced.

Next: I will be working on the third hypothesis.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Open day activitics