Sunday, June 16, 2019

My Inquiry Causal chain

 Raise Māori student achievement through the development of cultural visibility and responsive practices across the pathway as measured against National Standards and agreed targets for reading Years 1-10 and NCEA years 11-13. As a CoL leader within the school. I  am more interested in inquiring about student learning and my own practice.


Causal chain 

At our last CoL teacher meeting we discussed the importance of causal chain to make the inquiry more effective.
A causal chain is when a cause leads to an effect and that effect becomes the cause of another effect
A leads to B. B leads to C. C leads to D.
Any intervention you design will (consciously or not) be based on a causal chain you have in mind - this is your theory of action.
A causal chain is the path of influence running from a root cause to the problem. Each link in the chain represents something in the real problem.

Causal chain   Link
The chain method is useful in applying to teaching as it provides learners with methodical, simple steps in approaching questions. This improved their overall achievement, attitude, language and hypothesis forming techniques.



2 comments:

  1. Hi Christine, you're so good always thinking about your inquiry. What data have you gathered on how you currently teach the Y13 class? (Teacher baseline data) Or their current level of understanding? (Student baseline data). This will give you power to later say 'I used to do this, and my students were here, but since doing the inquiry my teaching has changed by x much in regards to y, and my students have improved x, and I think it's because of my change in teaching or my intervention. For example, how often do you speak using the language of SOLO in your instruction per lesson? Is that something you're hoping to change?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your feedback. SOLO approach is integral part of my teaching. I am planning to do a comparison with baseline for this year and previous years.

    ReplyDelete

Inquiry 2024- Question1 &2